Monday, July 19, 2010

The Unbearable Whiteness of Being

The white guilt trip is over. Unpack your luggage, sit on the lanai with a highball and don't get up. It's not that I'm unmoved by the awful events of the past that defined racism in its modern terms.

I just didn't participate in those events.

So don't lay the guilt trip on me and don't play victim. When you play that dog-eared race card, you're in the wrong game. You're trying to draw to an inside straight while everyone else has moved on to blackjack.

The NAACP, by playing that marked card, has labeled everyone in the Tea Party movement as racist. The once-noble organization has fallen to the level of race-baiting, name-calling and baseless accusations. Worse still, that same organization appears to have ties to the New Black Panthers.

The more shrill they become, the more intense the spotlight on their activities and associations. Something like this video just released by Andrew Breitbart.


USDA official Shirley Sherrod
The very same people who would call me a 'redneck' would deny ever having had a plantation mentality. So what if my neck is so red it glows in the dark?

If people put as much energy in their personal ambition as they do promoting a slave mentality, there would be no need for affirmative action.

Like I said, I don't feel the need to wring my hands over how people treated each other before I was born. I never owned a plantation. I've never owned a slave (I'm not that old) and I wouldn't know what to do with one if I did. I didn't ship slaves, I didn't broker them, I didn't buy or sell them. The closest I've come to the bulk cotton business is cleaning the dust bunnies out from under the bed.

Don't try to force me on a guilt trip. That train already left the station. No, if you're looking for white guilt, you've come to the wrong party. Try a liberal and take along some kool-aid.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment